ROC-M Radio Course
Maritime Radio Course
To operate a VHF radio you must have an ROC-M certificate (Restricted Operator’s Certificate – Maritime) – it’s the law.
This two-session course teaches emergency radio procedures and every day operating techniques. Learn about channel frequencies; the phonetic alphabet; procedural words and phrases along with Digital Selective Calling (DSC) and the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS). The ROC-M certificate is valid for life.
Online Course and In-Person Exam
BoaterSkills.ca offers the Maritime Radio Course online. There are two 2-hr online sessions and one in-person exam.
Note: Students must have a strong internet connection along with a webcam and microphone. Students can share a device for the online course, if necessary.
- Select course date and register online
- Select Mail or Pickup for your ROC-M Study Guide
- Memorize the Phonetic Alphabet (Click here to view/download)
- Complete both online sessions
- Attend the in-person exam session at our BoaterSkills.ca Training Centre at Port Credit Harbour Marina, Port Credit, Ontario
The ROC-M Study Guide is required for the online session. Study Guides can be picked up at our Port Credit Harbour Marina’s security office, or mailed to you, provided there is sufficient delivery time with Canada Post (minimum 5 business days prior to course date).
There is a 60-question multiple choice exam and oral test at the conclusion of the course. Passing grade is 42/60. The ROC-M certificate is valid for life.
Students are required to memorize the Phonetic Alphabet prior to writing the exam. Click here to view/download the Phonetic Alphabet.
♦ Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). BoaterSkills.ca is committed to excellence in serving all clients, including people with disabilities. We invite you to let us know of any accommodation you require as a result of a disability.
COVID-19 Safety Protocols
- COVID-19 survey completed by students before entry
- Masks worn by everyone (including instructor) in the class
- Social distancing of 6 ft/2m strictly enforced
- Hand santizer and disinfectant wipes available on site.
Please contact us before registering
Email: email@example.com | Phone: 905-484-2628.